Puppies are so lovable and adorable that sometimes it seems that when you go to choose one of the many puppies for sale in a litter often it is the puppy who ends up choosing its future owner. Irrespective of which puppy first runs up to you, you would do well to follow the tips listed in this blog post to choose the best pup in a litter.
- Evaluate the litter in terms of a group
One should first pay close attention to how the pups in the litter behave as a group. If you find most of the pups suspicious of you and maintaining a safe distance, then in all probability you do not want to get a puppy from that particular litter as more often than not all of the pups have inherited the same distrustful genes.
- Do not go for shy pups
Shy pups also mean that they end up as shy adult dogs. Puppies who stay away from you are hardly the ideal choice as a pet. They are more likely to snap into a defensive mode when startled or frightened and as such can be difficult to live with.
- What the litter should be doing
Normal, healthy puppies show behavior that bears out their friendliness, curiosity and trusting nature. They like to roam all around your feet. Have a go at your shoelaces albeit lovably and not dangerously, crawl their way into your lap and generally be lovable darlings.
- Make observation on how the puppy plays with the others in the same litter
The behavior of puppies with their littermates hold strong testaments to their character. Observe the following characteristics of the pups:
- Which are the bossy, strong, noisy and outgoing pups?
- Which are the gentle, quiet and submissive pups?
- Which pups are the first ones to grab toys and be the victor in their little tugs-of-war?
- Which pups seem too mild and are picked on?
For most families, a moderate pup is the best.
- Make individualized evaluations
Once you have viewed the puppies as a group it is time you paid minute attention to them individually. This is because you want to see how they behave when they are all on their own like the time it will potentially spend at your home.